Zucchini boats are fun and yummy and get you out of your keto veggie rut by using zucchini in a different style. This is also a 30 minute meal and great for meal prepping. So grab your ingredients and let’s get to it!!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb Sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
2 large zucchini
1 shallot, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup low carb/sugar tomato sauce
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp salt and pepper plus pinch of each
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage and saute, breaking up the meat as it cooks until it is browned and cooked through. Add the salt, pepper, shallot and garlic and good 1 minute, stirring into the sausage. Shallots and garlic cook very fast so watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn. Add the parsley, tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Slice zucchini lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon creating a canoe shape. Place on lined sheet pan. Brush insides with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fill the zucchini with the meat sauce. Top with cheddar cheese.
Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes. Turn oven to broil and cook an additional 3 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
Serve over torn kale salad or spinach.
Sausage Zucchini Boats
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sweet sausage casings removed
- 1 small shallot minced
- 2 cloved garlic minced
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt plus pinch
- 1/2` tsp pepper plus pinch
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Saute sausage in nonstick skillet in 1 tbsp olive oil until cooked through, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Add shallot and garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring into sausage. Add parsley, tomato sauce and parm cheese, stirring and cooking 5 minutes. Slice zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, creating a canoe shape. Brush insides of the boats with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place on lined cooking sheet. Fill boats with sausage. Top with cheddar cheese. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes. Turn oven to broil and cook an additional 3 min. Serve over kale or spinach and enjoy!
Number of servings: 4 boats
Amount per serving:
Total Fat 21g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Net Carbs 7g
Vitamin A 34%
Vitamin C 23%